Seasonal Ecologist Vacancy 2017
The Ecologist will be involved in all areas of our work with an emphasis on phase 1 habitat surveys, protected species surveys, including bat surveys and the assistance in mitigation and the production of ESPM licence applications.
The Ecologist role will involve: liaising with clients, other consultants and consultees; acquiring data from third parties; preparing maps and writing reports. The Ecologist will also assist with the general running of the office and help with the marketing and promotion of the company.
The job role will also involve travel to neighbouring local counties such as Cheshire, Derbyshire, Shropshire and West Midlands with the rare occasion of working further afield.
The job role has flexible working such as homebased working so not just office based providing less travel and more family time.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Phase 1 Habitat Surveys
- Protected species and vegetation surveys
- Communicating with clients by telephone, letters and reports
- Assist in Implementing mitigation and enhancement strategies
- Providing ecological watching briefs
- Assist in Protected species licences (Bats & GCN)
Essential Skills and Experience
- Proven experience of surveying protected species and vegetation
- Good report writing and communication skills
- Implementation of planning policy and legislation for nature conservation
- At least one year of previous experience in the industry
- Protected species licences highly desirable (Bats & GCN)
- At least 1 year experience consultancy experience
- HND or BSc in Ecology or closely related subject
- Member of CIEEM or IEMA or in application stage of membership
- Able to demonstrate good all round ecological knowledge; and
- Able to demonstrate understanding of nature conservation and planning legislation
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately to internal and external contacts verbally and through written communication
- Be able to demonstrate an interest in business development
- Flexible approach to working as part of a team or individually
- Full clean driving licence with access to own vehicle
- The role will commence in February 2017 to October 2017 with the potential to become permanent.
£18000 Pro-Rata millage paid for site surveys and holiday entitlement plus office and homeworking with potential to attend CIEEM and other training courses. To apply for this position please send a CV with covering letter